YSK that every credit card company has a secret Backdoor “recon”sideration line, where it rings directly to a person who very well can overturn your denied application. Details inside.
This isn't a myth. This isn't the regular customer service line. Its a special, relatively unknown group of reps who strictly deal with reconsidering your application. These phone numbers generally never appear on the company websites.
I just tried it with Chase and I have a credit card that I was denied for in the mail as we speak.
Now, before you go calling one of these numbers, please do a bit of research and Google best practices when calling these numbers.
You will be speaking to someone who has total power and discretion – so be nice to the rep on the phone. Know what you're going to say and be prepared to answer the questions straight up that don't get asked on credit card applications.
The above is key though to why this works. When you fill out an application, it pulls your credit report and the system auto approves/denies based on various factors. This is your chance to explain why you have those blemishes on your report. Be honest, tell them you were 20 and given a huge line of credit and weren't as financially responsible as you are now. Or whatever the reason was.
Either way, as long as you don't have a completely horrible score, but are within arms reach, there is a very good chance they'll reconsider, and override the denial. Good luck!
Oh, and this should only be leveraged if you just recently applied but were denied, no more than a couple weeks or so.
(866) 314-0237 – Main Application Reconsideration Line
Bank Of America
(866) 458-8805 – General Account and Reconsideration Line
(877) 721-9405 – Personal Application Status Line, dial option 3
(800) 481-8277 – Business Application Status Line Online Application Status Check
Barclay’s Credit Card
(888) 232-0780 – General Card Services and Application Line, dial option 3 for application status
(866) 408-4064 – Credit Line Questions Online Application Status Check
(800) 625-7866 – Application Services Line
(888) 245-0625 – Application reconsideration line – direct to live rep
(800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
(800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
(800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status